Project Guidelines and House Rules
LEGO® CUUSOO invites you to submit your ideas to be considered as future LEGO products, and lets you to vote on and discuss ideas to help the LEGO Group decide what to release next. We're looking for new, original, and creative ideas, so send us your best!
The guidelines on this page explain how LEGO CUUSOO works, what's acceptable for a project, and define our user code of conduct. New project submissions that don't adhere to these guidelines will not be published, and by having a LEGO CUUSOO account, you agree to abide by the House Rules in this document.
This document is divided into four sections:
By creating a LEGO CUUSOO Project, you accept the LEGO CUUSOO Terms of Service. This page provides a plain-language version of the most important elements within those terms.
How This Works
- Your submissions must be original. You attest you are the original creator of the LEGO model or idea and you have the exclusive right to submit your model to LEGO CUUSOO.
- Your submissions are your own work and no one else's. You agree that you will not upload images that belong to someone else as a part of your project, even if that person gives you permission. If you want someone else's idea to become a reality through LEGO CUUSOO, please ask them to post it. If you are collaborating with another builder, please refer to guideline #6 below.
- You are at least 18 years old. To submit a project, you must be legally able to enter into a contract with us in case we decide to commercialize your idea. If you are 13 or older, you are welcome to support and comment on projects.
- You grant us the rights we need to commercialize your idea. For your idea to become reality, the LEGO Group must have the exclusive rights to manufacture, distribute, market, and sell your idea. We're not trying to take away your ability to post and share your model, though. You can continue to do that as you wish on your own website and online profiles.
- You will receive credit and compensation for your original ideas. We recognize three types of ideas, as follows:
- Original Model Ideas. You will receive 1% of net sales if your LEGO CUUSOO Project is chosen and the LEGO Group commercializes it as a LEGO set.
- Original Part Ideas. You will receive a one-time flat fee as remuneration for a part idea that is produced, to be determined by the LEGO Group.
- Original Model Ideas based on Licensed IP. You will receive 1% of net sales if the model you submitted is based on third-party intellectual property (e.g. Star Wars™) and is your original work.
- You may collaborate with others, but only if we get specific permission from everyone. You must read and follow these instructions to register your collaborative project with us within one week of starting a new collaborative project, or your project may be removed.
- There may be unintentional overlap between your ideas and our current product development. If the LEGO Group introduces a product similar to an idea submitted on LEGO CUUSOO you understand and acknowledge that any coincidence is unintentional and release the LEGO Group against any claims of infringement.
Go to Top
Acceptable Project Content
While there's a wide range of awesome ideas that would make great LEGO products, there are some things that you are not allowed to include in your project. Here is the list of what we allow:
- Keep it appropriate. Remember that the LEGO Group is a toy company, so we're careful to only produce products we deem appropriate for children. Projects related to the below topics will not be approved. We will decide how a project fits these standards at our discretion.
- Politics and political symbols
- Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people
- Sex, drugs, or smoking
- Alcohol in any present day situation
- Death, killing, blood, terrorism, or torture
- First-person shooter video games
- Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation
- Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals
- Original work only. Any LEGO models, elements, or minifigures you post must be your own original work.
- Projects should be product concepts. Your project should be positioned as a new product concept. LEGO CUUSOO is not a gallery to display your creations (try the LEGO.com Create & Share Galleries and ReBrick instead).
- Drawings and photos are OK. You may use photos or drawings of non-LEGO objects, provided you add a description that tells how you would make this a LEGO product.
- No projects to bring back old LEGO products. Please don't submit projects requesting we re-release or "bring back" discontinued LEGO products or themes. LEGO CUUSOO is for new and original ideas.
- Licensed ideas are OK, but note the following. You may submit models that require licenses, but be aware that we can't guarantee the production of your model if it is linked to a competitive licensor – this is where all the legal stuff becomes complicated. Note that we do not check all new project submissions for license conflicts as there are too many potential conflicts.
- Please don't use our logos. You may not use the LEGO logo or any logo owned by the LEGO Group in a way that can misleadingly imply endorsement. You are welcome to mock up box art, but please leave our logo out, thanks.
- Software projects are OK, but no MMORPGs, please. Software related Projects are allowed as long as they are related to LEGO products; however we do not allow you to suggest we create a new MMORPG game.
Go to Top
Basic Project Quality Standards
Please respect others who browse LEGO CUUSOO by putting effort into your project. We will only approve new project submissions that meet these basic quality standards:
- Photos, renderings, screenshots, and drawings should be clear and well-lit.
- Manipulated photos, composite images, and text on graphics should be clear and easy to read.
- Your project title and description text should be clearly understood and in proper case. Do not use ALL CAPS, all lowercase, MiXEd cAsE, txtspeak, ch4tsp34k, heavy punctuation!!!!!!!, etc.
- The images you use should match your title and description.
Go to Top
Help us keep a fun and respectful atmosphere with a focus on sharing new ideas for LEGO products. You are expected to observe the following common-sense house rules:
- Be respectful. Keep your remarks constructive and respectful. Don't be offensive, creepy, abusive, humiliating or intimidating and don't attack, harass, or impersonate others.
- Stay on-topic. Comments for a specific project are intended for that project only. Do not post links to your own project on someone else's project. Off-topic remarks or unintelligible comments (made in ALL CAPS, txtspeak, chatspeak, and the like) will be considered spam and removed by moderators. All content not related to LEGO products will be removed.
- Don't advertise, preach, or campaign. LEGO CUUSOO is not a venue for preaching or disseminating your political or religious views. It is also not a venue to advertise any business, non-profit, or charitable cause. Comments or projects that intended to advertise, campaign, or promote a political/religious viewpoint as well as content intended to put down a political/religious belief held by another person or group of people will be removed.
- Keep it clean. LEGO CUUSOO is to be a good, clean environment. Don't create projects or make comments containing hate speech or related to alcohol, drugs, tobacco, politics, sex; or any kind of content containing realistic or extreme violence, or content intended to shock or disgust.
- We will step in if we must. We reserve the right to remove any projects or comments that violate the guidelines. Repeated violations will result in suspension or ban from LEGO CUUSOO.
Go to Top
LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group.
©2012 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.