The Project: A 2-pack of Type-III Ambulances that are very common in North America, a regular version and fire department version.
Lego has made many ambulances in their City/Town line, but they have never made a type III ambulance.
This project is designed with the mature Lego fan in mind, similar to the age range of Lego's modular buildings. Also like the modular buildings, the focus is on detail and slightly more advanced building techniques. This can become a new series of D2C (direct to consumer; i.e. like the modular buildings) sets, with a new, highly-detailed, minifigure-scaled vehicle being released every year.
About Type III Ambulances:
Type III ambulances are based on chassis-cabs of light duty vans and fitted with a rectangular patient compartment. The vehicles are customized to the purchaser's needs.
Features of The Lego Ambulance Type-III:
- Can hold five minifigures: a driver and passenger in the main cab, plus a patient and 2 more passengers/EMTs in the patient compartment.
- Realistic detailing inside and out. The interior features plenty of storage space for medical equipment, multiple monitors and other details. Exterior features plenty of emergency lights, panels, storage compartment, fuel tank cap, and more.
- Functional brick-built doors. Three brick-built doors on the patient compartment can open and close.
- Removable roofs make it easy to access the cab and patient compartments.
- Two emergency light configurations employing different building techniques!
View a few more photos and earlier versions on flickr:
1st supporter! - 2012/05/30
10 supporters - 2012/05/31
50 supporters - 2012/06/04
100 supporters - 2012/06/10
350 supporters - 2012/11/26
400 supporters - 2012/11/28
3rd Most Supported project for the week of December 3, 2012! Thanks everyone!
500 supporters - 2013/01/10
Thanks for your support!!
If anyone is an EMT and can share it with the EMT/EMS community, I would greatly appreciate it!
Big "Thank You" to the following sites for featuring this project:
Cuusoo Project of the Week (2012/11/26)! Thanks GlenBricker!
1. Is that Nya? / Why is Nya in the back of the ambulance?
Yes, it is Nya from the Ninjago theme. She was simply nearby when I needed a fig to put on the stretcher. I ended up liking how her expression contrasts with the situation, so I've actually kept her on the stretcher to this day.
2. Can you make instructions for this?
One of these days I will, but I can't make any guarantees at this point as I am kind of busy with non-Lego things. I'm actually still refining the models as well, so I think once I'm completely happy with the build, I'll try to work on instructions.
If you are interested, I created an LDD file of an older version. It is available on MOCPages. Just search for "American Ambulance".